Hey guys, it has been a while, just finishing up *hopefully* with my degree with exams to come in May. What does that mean, well it means that I’ll have some time after May to properly kick back off in this blog with what ever comes into my head. I just wanted to give a wee update on my thoughts of a Wii 2. Also for those wanting to keep track, any other random thoughts on this I may tweet about but I will hashtag it with #projectbutterfly because I by far prefer that to the ‘Wii2’ moniker. EDIT I could be using the hashtag #Projectcafe instead if LINK is to be believed.
I have for a long time believed that Nintendo would release a new console in FY 2012/2013, tending towards the end of the year rather than the start. So if Nintendo did in fact announce a new home console between now and E3 in July, looking at the usual 18 month cycle between console announcement and release, that would give us a release date of between October 2012 and January 2013. Leaving an announcement now completely plausible, even though with the recent release of the 3DS I find myself a bit stunned by the rumours already, I wasn’t ready for it.
Now moving onto the nitty gritty, here are a few “rumoured specs” taken from GoNintendo
- launch titles from third-party developers are in the works right now
- all-new controller
- controller features a built-in HD screen
- Blu-ray as the main optical drive
“Nintendo’s plans sound unreal. Publishers are already planning launch titles and it’s all very exciting. The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it.” – inside source
- console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Nintendo is looking to recapture the hardcore market
- 1080p resolutions
- Nintendo will release a pre-announcement this month
- full reveal expected at E3
- backwards compatible with current Wii software
Well there’s a really interesting bit of information. If the system is backwards compatible with Wii games, that either means you can use a Wiimote/Nunchuk on the new system, or the new system’s control scheme will be able to mirror that of Wii.
- new system is capable of running games at HD resolutions
- system may either fall short of or surpass 360/PS3 in graphics, but it will be competitive
- Nintendo is already showing publishers the system
- late 2012 launch
- no word on backwards compatibility
- no word on ‘Wii’ being in the name
- when Nintendo was approached with this information, they were told that Nintendo won’t comment on their E3 plans, but “stay tuned”
“Nintendo is doing this one right. [It’s] not a gimmick like the Wii.” – anonymous source
Well, that’s quite a bit of information, to me its 100% unverifiable so should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. But what is to me more or less confirmed from corporate history and previous statements;
- Console will utilise the 1080p display ratio
- Console will have backwards compatibility
- The console will NOT receive a full disclosure any time soon
But that’s where Nintendo need to step in, EPIC recently have started showing off their latest version of the Unreal Engine for the next generation. What I believe Nintendo should have done is to visit them, with their technical team, gotten hold of the engine and tested it, spoke to their tech team and say “what would we need to do to run this engine on our system?”. Plain and simple, go to the guys who make the engines that run the majority of cross platform content out there and say, what does our console need to do to play your games.